So many South African women wear wigs. Ever wondered why? Here are a few of the reasons:
- Wearing wigs can be a great protective style. You can protect your natural hair from the pulling, heat exposure and styling.
- The quality of wigs has improved tremendously over the years. With the improved quality of materials along with better wig construction, synthetic wigs can look like real human hair wigs.
- It’s quick and super convenient!
Two Types Of Wigs
Human Hair Wigs:
This is made from high-quality human hair, which is virtually identical to natural hair and designed specifically with women of colour in mind. These vary with styles, colours, and textures to allow you to have fun with different hairstyles while protecting your own natural hair. This hair has the following characteristics:
- Great quality: 100% virgin hair, natural and healthy.
- No shedding, no tangling, easy maintenance.
- Easy to wear: Some lace wigs don’t need glue and have adjustable elastic strap and combs.
- Human hair wigs look and feel the most natural because it is natural hair. There is nothing quite like the feeling of lightness and the versatility of a good quality 100% natural virgin hair. Real Hair Wigs are remarkably light and soft with a shine and movement not easily duplicated by synthetic hair.
- Its versatility allows you to style it as if it was your own natural hair.
- It’s perfect for ladies suffering from hair loss or Alopecia.
- Can be coloured, curled and styled just like your own natural hair.
- A good quality one can last you for years.
- The disadvantages are that it needs to be washed, deep-conditioned and re-styled frequently and it’s expensive.
Synthetic Hair Wig:
As good as they look in appearance but these wigs are heat resistant. With technological advances over the years, synthetic hair has come a long way. In some cases it is difficult to tell the difference – the feel and texture are such that they feel almost like human hair. It is less expensive than human hair wigs, less durable than human hair wigs but can look as real as your own hair. It offers limited styling versatility (hot tools cannot be used) and requires even less maintenance.
How to tell which is which?
Burn a few strands with Fire:
The difference between real hair and synthetic hair can be distinguished by the smell of the burn. The synthetic hair smells of plastic while human hair smells of real hair burning. Human hair is also not easy to burn, the hair will roll when the fire is close, while synthetic hair burns easily when the fire is close
Test With Hair Straightener
When the hair straightener temperature settings are increased to high, the real hair will be straightened while the synthetic hair will curl or melt.