To douche or not to douche, haven’t we all tried to figure this one out? This was actually part of one of my previous blogs, which means it’s a pretty popular topic. I have given this a lot of thought and I am sure many of you reading this have too. The sad thing is, most of us don’t have the facts around whether it’s beneficial or harmful. Allow me to change your perspective.
Firstly, when I asked my gynaecologist about this, being the old soul he is, he couldn’t believe that people were still under the impression that this was a safe thing to do. He went on to explain a few things to me and, what is better way to ensure the rest of you keep your honey pots healthy than sharing his advice with you?
Risks and disadvantages
- Your vagina produces healthy bacteria (vagina flora). The kind that is necessary in order to maintain a healthy one. By douching, you are eliminating the good bacteria which exposes your precious pearl to all sorts of infections.
- Douching changes the natural acidity and pH levels within the vagina which interferes with the self-cleaning process your vagina is meant to do on its own.
- Yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, pelvic inflammatory disease and bladder infections are more common in women who do. It can also negatively impact your pregnancy.
- The infections that come from douching can cause a milky discharge with a fishy smell. One far worse than the smell you naturally give off.
I am sure, like me, all women want to ensure that their honey pots are smelling fresh like flowers and are always clean, hence we resort to things that may harm us. Now that we have read why we should NOT be douching, here is some advice on how you can maintain a clean vagina, the safe way.
Stay on the safe side
- Switch to perfume & fragrant free soaps when you wash down below and ONLY wash on the outside. Do not get any soap or water in your treasure tunnel.
- Stay away from scented sanitary pads/tampons/. I know, they smell great, but your vagina does not want or need it.
- Douching after your partner ejaculated inside of you is also NOT permitted. Yes, it may seem like the right thing to do but, your vagina will clean herself.
- Stay away from vaginal care products such as soaps, oils or lotions. These products are there for convenience, not for health.
One thing you always need to REMEMBER is that even the healthiest vaginas have some sort of an odor or discharge. This is 100% natural. Women know their bodies, so, you will know when something is wrong. If you are experiencing an unpleasant smell, itch or irritation, rather consult your doctor. But douching is not your answer.