Mocha Coffee French Crullers For Valentine’s Day by Grace Stevens
For the award-winning TV chef, cookbook author, marvellous mom and wonderful wife – Grace Stevens – creating delicious treats to share on Valentine’s Day offers an opportunity to play with how we express our love for those around us – Mocha Coffee French Crullers For Valentine’s Day
Ingredients for the Crullers
- 265 ml Milk
- 265 ml Water
- 120 ml Butter
- 15 ml Caster sugar
- 310 ml Flour
- 3 Eggs
What you need for the Glaze
- 375 ml Icing sugar
- 30 ml Cocoa
- 15 ml Espresso
- 30 ml Milk
How to make the perfect Crullers
- Cut 20 squares of baking paper and place onto a baking sheet. Trace a heart onto each paper. Turn the paper over so the tracing is on the back of the paper when you place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Place a French piping tip into a large piping bag. Set aside
- Place milk, water, sugar and butter into a medium saucepan and allow to come to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and place all the flour into the saucepan at once. Stir quickly and mix well.
- Return the mixture to the heat and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. The mixture will leave a residue on the base of the pan when it is done.
- Transfer the dough to a large glass bowl of your stand mixer. Spread the dough up the sides of the bowl to help cool quickly.
- While the dough is cooling, make the glaze by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix until smooth and set aside.
- Scrape the dough down from the sides of your bowl and add one egg. Mix until the egg is well combined.
- Add the second egg and continue beating. If the pastry is not loose enough, add just the yolk of the third egg before testing. If you pinch some pastry off, then pull your fingers apart, it should stretch about 2 to 3cm before breaking. If it breaks before about 2cm, then add the remaining egg white and beat well. Beat the pastry until glossy.
- Fill the prepared piping bag with the pastry. Pipe a heart onto each square of baking paper using the traced heart to guide you.
- Pour enough oil into a medium pot for deep frying. Heat to 180C
- Lift the hearts (including the paper) with a slotted spoon and place them into the heated oil. After 10 seconds, remove the paper and discard it. Fry in batches until golden brown.
- Place fried crullers onto kitchen towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Dip each cruller into the glaze and place it on a cooking rack to cool completely.
- Serve immediately.
Click here to read Grace Stevens top scrumptious suggestions for this Valentine’s Day.