We all know frequent hand washing is essential right now, but as we’re finding out, it can exacerbate dryness and irritation. Hand washing is our best defence against viruses and bacteria, but constant washing of hands and the use of hand sanitiser can strip the skin of natural oils, drying our skin out even further in the process. With winter approaching our hands are one of the first places to endure the brunt of the lower temperatures. With this being said, our hands reflect our age very well and give the game away in an instant, so it would only be beneficial to treat them as you would your delicate eye area or décolletage.
Everyone’s hands are exposed to pollutants more than any other part of the body. Just think of how much our hands have to HANDle every day. Over-washing causes dryness and that causes unnecessary wrinkles to appear. If your skin is sensitive like mine, hand sanitiser can cause flares of eczema and unwanted rashes which can be very uncomfortable and take time to heal. I made a list of the products that I swear by and that I carry with me all the time.
1. Avène Cicalfate Hand Repairing Barrier Cream R232.91
It has repairing and antibacterial agents in its fragrance-free, paraben-free creamy formula made specially to help heal and protect very dry, irritated hands. Transparent when applied, it forms an insulating barrier on the skin, giving the protection of a “second skin”. Apply a small amount after every wash and before bedtime.
2. SBR Lipocream 100g R151.10
Proven to restore and maintain skin barrier function. This cream is great on dry, chapped or cracked skin. When I was a teenager I used to get really bad “winter hands” where the skin literally peeled off my hands and fingers and my Dermatologist prescribed this. It is absolutely fantastic.
3. CLARINS Hand And Nail Treatment Cream R420.00
The cream also works like a protective invisible glove on the hands, protecting them from climate damage while minimising signs of ageing as well as protecting against environmental damage. Softens, hydrates and regenerates to diminish dark spots.
4. FILORGA Hand-Absolute Ultimate Rejuvenating Hand and Nail Cream R1 275. 00
This rejuvenating hand and nail cream repairs, hydrates, and corrects all signs of ageing. Great for those at-home hand treatments. I would apply the cream and then wrap my hands in cling wrap and cover with gloves just before bedtime for extra absorption during the night.
These are just some of my favourite products that really have helped me, but what is important is to remember
- MOISTURISE your hands frequently and take care of them.
- Try to wear disposable gloves when you’re out and about and travelling to crowded areas where you will be using lots of hand sanitiser.
- Avoid plunging your hands into too-hot or freezing-cold water as this encourages dehydration and leads to skin chapping.
- Always use sunblock on the back of your hands to prevent the formation of brown age spots and;
- Include sufficient vegetable oils in your daily diet, such as olive oil for cooking to help strengthen weak, brittle nails.
Read more from our beauty editor