When it comes to handbags, I am a firm believer that ,like shoes, you can never have too many.
In 2012 my husband and I set off to spend his 30th birthday in the US of A. We started in New York City. Walking down 5th Avenue, I channeled my inner Carrie Bradshaw, dreaming of a Louis Vuitton handbag. Unfortunately, my bank account wasn’t dreaming along with me.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Except when it is a LV. For his 30th birthday and my 31st, hubby bought me my very first Louis Vuitton. I imagine that this is what moms feel like when they see their first born for the first time, except the bag doesn’t cry. Actually it does, it screams luxury!
I was officially part of the LV club and so my love affair with luxury bags and luxury items as a whole, began.
From one Louis, I went to another, then to a Burberry, another LV, a Hermès, a Kate Spade, Jimmy Choo, Prada, more Hermès, Chanel, but always I return to my first love, Louis Vuitton. Many of these I bought pre-loved, as new ones is often not affordable.
Now, I know you are reading this, most likely rolling your eyes. Your thought process something along the lines of how on earth does she spend THAT on a bag? Or you high-fiving me, because you too are part of the LV club.
When it comes to affordability, a Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag, which is the bag I would recommend as the must-have for everyone if you are looking at one luxury bag is around R25k, depending on the exchange rate and the size. That equates to R69 per day that you need to save. That is not even 2 Big Mac meals or two packets of cigarettes for the smokers out there.
With this in mind, here are my five recommended must-have bags (some are on my wish list)
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull – This bag comes in three sizes, and it includes a clutch bag inside. I use mine for everything, and traveling is extremely easy as I put my laptop, makeup bag, water, chargers, and sometimes even a book into it. My mom calls it my always full. 📷 @louisvuitton.reetzy
- CHANEL – need I say more. The lady herself exuded luxury and the bags like all things Chanel is a statement piece. 📷 @chanelinternational
- Hermès – The signature orange box that packages the perfect bag to any collection is a perfect end but comes with a very hefty price tag. You may be lucky to pick up a pre-loved one at a fraction of the price. 📷 @thehermesworld
- YSL – they are known for their beautiful clutch bags, and I love their smaller bags. 📷 @ysl.reetzy
- Carol Bouwer – who knew you could find luxury bags in the same league as all the big names right here on our doorstep. Carol Bouwer bags located in the One & Only Hotel holds her right next to the top name brands. 📷 @carolbouwerbags
Having looked at these bags, your heart may have sunk into your shoes, but like all things in life, all things seem impossible until it is done.
So, start your saving plan as follow, open a 32-day account, and transfer R50-R100 per day into that account every day. Do this diligently, and don’t skip a day. By the end of the year, you will have saved between R18250 to R36500. With this little nest egg, you can buy that bag, or shoes, or plane ticket, or whatever your heart desires.
What is your dream bag? Let me know in the comments below.