Some nights are for big hearty meals. Some nights are for light and yummy snacks. I’d happily opt for the second one every night, but I can’t. Because, you know, kids. Easy Kid-Approved Veggie-Packed Muffins!
Now, I’m going to tell you something. For the most part of my 35 years on this earth, I hated vegetables. I mean I really LOATHED them. Except for carrot cake. Carrot cake is always a good idea.
Anyway, it’s only until a few years ago when I realized I needed to grow up. And I’m happy to report that at this moment I can tolerate most veggies and can trust myself to at least try to consume them on a regular basis.
However, I must admit that I cannot (will not) eat them steamed or boiled. And since we now have a 2-year-old with still developing taste buds, I found myself searching for recipes with hidden veggies.
Enter these easy kids (And Adult)-approved veggie-packed muffins! They have zucchini (baby marrows), carrots, and little kid-approved flavor! They are also so easy to adapt to add your favorite veggies and add-ins like spinach, bell peppers, corn, peas, bacon, feta cheese, etc. The sky’s the limit.
Yummy And Easy Kid-Approved Veggie-Packed Muffins
With zucchini, carrots, and cheese, these savory little super muffins have a load of extra flavor. They’re a fun way to change up the usual muffins you make for the kids and have a nicely balanced mix of nutrients too—with protein, fiber, calcium, and Vitamin C.
TIP: These are great baby starter muffins since they’re made without added sugar. Omit the salt if making for a baby since they won’t need the extra flavor. Easy Kid-Approved Veggie-Packed Muffins!
Ingredients in the Easy Kid-Approved Veggie-Packed Muffins
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- 1 medium (250g) Zucchini, grated
- 1 medium (120g) Carrot, grated
- 1 cup (250g) Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Plain Unflavoured Yoghurt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups (250g) Plain Wholemeal Flour (I used Eureka Mills Unbleached Wholemeal Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
These muffins are so easy to make once you have the veggies prepped.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Grate the zucchini and carrot.
- Place the zucchini and carrot onto a clean dish towel and wrap it around the vegetables. Squeeze all the juice out.
- Place the zucchini and carrots into a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese, milk, yogurt, oil, and eggs and stir until combined.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together and then slowly add to the wet ingredients. Fold in gently, until just combined.
- Spray a 12 hole muffin tray with oil or grease with butter. Spoon the mixture, equally, between the 12 muffin sections. Bake for 20-25 mins
To store these savory muffins you can freeze them, and if properly frozen they will be good for around 2-3 months (but will remain safe to eat well past that). To ensure the best quality, individually wrap the muffins in clingfilm or foil and then transfer them to Ziplock bags or freezer containers.
To reheat – just pop them out of the freezer and place them back in the muffin tin. Reheat at 170c /350f until heated through. Alternatively, allow them to thaw and then reheat them in the microwave. Easy Kid-Approved Veggie-Packed Muffins!
I’D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR FEEDBACK ON THESE MUFFINS IF YOU TRY THEM! PLEASE COMMENT BELOW AND SHARE TO SAY THANK YOU!