Over the years, rosemary has been known as a healing herb. However, in recent years, there have been consistent claims that the oil extracted from the rosemary plant is great for hair growth.
Is Rosemary Oil good for Natural Hair Growth?
There are a number of benefits derived from using Rosemary on natural hair. Rosemary can be used as an oil or the whole plant can be used in DIY hair care remedies such as tea rinses or hair masks. In this article we will explore how to use the oil to promote healthy natural hair growth.
Below are the benefits of using Rosemary Oil on natural hair:
- The oil has anti-inflammatory properties, promotes nerve growth and improves blood circulation ensuring that hair follicles have a constant supply of blood. Additionally, it ensures that they remain healthy and do not die off leading to hair loss.
- Rosemary oils are also known to prevent premature greying and dandruff. Research has found that rosemary contains carsonic acid which helps in rejuvenating nerves in the skin and in this case the scalp which in turn helps in the restoration of healthy natural hair.
- Most recent studies indicate that rosemary helps protect against hair loss. Rosemary’s effectiveness in treating hair loss was weighed against minoxidil also known as Rogaine. The study which was used on both male and female subjects showed that rosemary was more effective in treating an itchy scalp and hair loss more effectively than minoxodil. This is mainly due to its circulation improvement abilities.
How to use Rosemary Oil for natural hair growth
If you’re looking into hair restoration, there are several ways that rosemary oils can be used effectively:
1. Massage directly into the scalp
Take a few drops of the essential oil and massage evenly into the scalp. You can mix rosemary oils with other carrier oils such as coconut
oil or jojoba oil. Rinsing out the hair is optional, after allowing it to sit in for 10-15 minutes to allow the oils to effectively rejuvenate the hair.
2. Mix it into your store-bought shampoo & conditioner
Rosemary Oil is versatile enough and can easily be mixed into a shampoo or a conditioner. It is important to play it safe and keep it at a neutral level. Do not add too much or too little. Keep to about five drops per product. Afterwards, use the product as usual. Alternatively, you can add 2 to 3 drops directly to any hair product or into your palm before use.